Why migrate to sites?

john.french

10 Mar, 2011 01:30 AM

We only have one large site. Everything is working fine. Why should I bother to migrate to sites?

1. 1 Posted by Lee Roberson (F... on 10 Mar, 2011 04:02 AM

Lee Roberson (Function Digital LLC)'s Avatar

I can't give you the whole enchilada since we delayed our full deployment until after 6.0 came out, but this is what I perceive. Also, YMMV depending on how many contributors you have (you don't say) and how many distinctly different web sites are in this single Cascade site (ditto). That potentially makes some of this inapplicable.

Because that is where most (if not all) of the features are being added to Cascade.

Because it makes adding access rights easier, if you find yourself needing to do so later on.

Because your asset factory, config set, content type, et al lists which might be lengthy now will all be easier to read as a dev/admin who can see everything at once.

Because in 6.8 sites will get their own publishing queue (sort of). Not sure how this is planned to work with global, my guess is it will be treated as an equal citizen to a site, so you'll not gain a lot from that since everything publishes from one place in your install.

Because then your asset tree doesn't have to rigidly follow your deploy server file tree (again, I had little experience with siteless Cascade, just during the evals, I might be wrong here)

You could always try it and see.

2. 2 Posted by john.french on 10 Mar, 2011 05:26 PM

"Because that is where most (if not all) of the features are being added to Cascade." That is the only reason I can find for migrating to sites. It seems that will make our deployment ready for future enhancements.

At present we have about 80 groups and 100 users. We have everything on one server. Our file structure is simple. Most every major campus, school, and department, are at the root level. They all use the same set of templates customized through configuration files.

If we migrate is there any REALLY GOOD reason for breaking them all into separate sites?

3. 3 Posted by Charlie Holder on 23 Aug, 2011 08:37 PM

Hey John --

Posted an article on our blog about migrating to Sites with some reasons we believe are worth noting. Would love to hear your take on it.

http://www.hannonhill.com/news/blog/2011/why-migrate-to-sites.html

4. Tim closed this discussion on 07 Mar, 2012 02:33 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac