Pages in Sites with Absolute Links

harlenweb

22 Nov, 2010 03:46 PM

When you check the "Maintain Absolute Links" box on a page within a Site, the rewritten absolute link starts from the base of the site. However, this may not be the web root if a Site is a subdirectory. This is often the situation with sites I've worked with. Shouldn't the directory in the destination be taken into account as well?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 22 Nov, 2010 09:54 PM

Hi,

I created this idea on our Idea Exchange a while back to help address this. Please be sure to vote it up and/or comment!

Thanks

2. 2 Posted by harlenweb on 23 Nov, 2010 12:06 AM

Thanks so much for adding this idea, Tim. I am wondering if this would be a feature request or if this is a bug? Under what circumstances would you want it to work as is?

Sara

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tim on 13 Dec, 2010 08:16 PM

Hi Sara,

The option was created to be used within the Global area before Sites existed. Now that the Sites model is in place, there are times when this option doesn't really make sense anymore (like in the scenario you described in your original post). We'll look to address this with the feature mentioned above.

Thanks

4. Tim closed this discussion on 13 Dec, 2010 08:16 PM.

5. harlenweb re-opened this discussion on 13 Dec, 2010 08:38 PM

6. 4 Posted by harlenweb on 13 Dec, 2010 08:38 PM

Thanks again!

7. Tim closed this discussion on 13 Dec, 2010 08:39 PM.

8. harlenweb re-opened this discussion on 19 Aug, 2013 09:42 PM

9. 5 Posted by harlenweb on 19 Aug, 2013 09:42 PM

I'm wondering if you've found (or heard of) any good workarounds for this. I have shared templates and local CSS files (which need the same path across sites), so I don't think I can wrap the assets in the different sites with a content folder mirroring the particular subdirectory. I am currently using an XSL applied to the page to fix the links (to prefix with the subdirectory), but I'm wondering if there is something more straightforward.

Thanks,
    Sara

10. 6 Posted by harlenweb on 16 Sep, 2013 08:39 PM

Hi Tim,

Am commenting per our discussion today. Any possibility that a field could be added to destinations to indicate a path that should be pre-pended to all absolute links being published to that destination?

Sara

11. 7 Posted by harlenweb on 26 Sep, 2013 03:30 PM

Or instead of specifying a new field/path - could the destination URL be prepended?

12. 8 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 28 Oct, 2013 03:47 PM

Hi Sara,

My apologies for the lack of response on your discussion.

I'm wondering if you've found (or heard of) any good workarounds for this. I have shared templates and local CSS files (which need the same path across sites), so I don't think I can wrap the assets in the different sites with a content folder mirroring the particular subdirectory.

Curious, but have you tried using the system-asset:local pseudo tag when writing your links to the CSS files? If you are using the same path and system name for your CSS files and they are local to each Site, this pseudo tag will link to the asset that is local to the Site.

Or instead of specifying a new field/path - could the destination URL be prepended?

The Destination URL is used when linking to Page Outputs that are set to publish to a different Destination. because Files do not have different Outputs, the Destination URL would not be used.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

13. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 13 Nov, 2013 09:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac