Pros and cons of metadata sets vs data definitions for handling metadata

geoff

05 Jun, 2014 05:55 PM

I'm trying to understand whether there are any advantages to using Cascade's built-in metadata sets to handle metadata rather than using data definitions to handle metadata.

When we initially set up Cascade, we were inclined to exclusively use metadata sets to house our metadata because we assumed a feature designed for metadata would give us the most potential to leverage that metadata going forward. But now I'm not so sure. The recently added smart data definitions are a bit more friendly to end users than metadata sets. Plus, to the best of knowledge, the only way to publish block-level metadata to a page is if that metadata resides in a data definition rather than in a metadata set (as we were told when we set up Cascade, but please correct me if this is no longer true).

Does anyone feel metadata sets have a clear advantage over data definitions? If so, in what way? I suppose it depends on how the metadata needs to be used and maintained, but at this point it feels like the advantage goes to data definitions.

Thanks for your input.

1. 1 Posted by Wing Ming Chan on 05 Jun, 2014 06:26 PM

Hi geoff,

It all depends on how you want to use what you called metadata. Metadata set first. You can associate a block, a page, a file, a folder, and a symlink to a metadata set. But you cannot associate them to a data definition block (I am not talking about block choosers here). When you index these assets, metadata is visible and the indexing is fast. But as you have pointed out, capabilities of metadata sets are relatively limited.

Data definitions. You have to use them with blocks or pages. When you index pages, you have to include page content to be able to see the data. This can be very slow. But again, data definition blocks can do a lot of things that metadata cannot. For example, you can use a block chooser to allow a data definition block to wrap up another block, and provide other fields for customization. This metadata cannot do.

About this part: "the only way to publish block-level metadata to a page is if that metadata resides in a data definition rather than in a metadata set", I am totally lost.

Wing

2. Tim closed this discussion on 08 Oct, 2014 05:54 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac