import/exports specific folders

matthew.wren

02 Apr, 2014 05:47 PM

We have two separate servers that run Cascade Server: one is our production server and another is our Test server. We recently copied our entire Prod site to Test to test a few things but since we have done that I made several changes in a folder on our Prod server. I was just wondering if there was any way I can import and export a folder from one site to another and not just the entire site?

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 02 Apr, 2014 06:05 PM

Hi Matthew,

Currently, the only way to accomplish this would be to import the entire Site.

If there were no changes made to the Prod Site on your test instance, this would be the best route to go to avoid missing anything. If there were changes made to the Prod Site on the test instance, you could import the Site under a different name and move the changes into the existing Prod Site.

Note: keep an eye on entity relationships here (ie internal links), you would want things to point to the existing Prod Site and not the newly imported Site.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by matthew.wren on 02 Apr, 2014 06:20 PM

Very good to know! Thanks!

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 02 Apr, 2014 08:25 PM

Not a problem at all, Matthew.

I'm going to go ahead and close this discussion, please feel free to comment or reply to re-open if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day!

4. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 02 Apr, 2014 08:25 PM.

5. matthew.wren re-opened this discussion on 08 Apr, 2014 02:05 PM

6. 4 Posted by matthew.wren on 08 Apr, 2014 02:05 PM

I have another question along the lines of Import/Export. How would I export one site from our Prod server and import it to our dev server? My concerns are the destinations changing. On our Test server, pages can only publish to wwwdev.scranton.edu while our Prod can publish to both that and www.scranton.edu.

I think it's an easy fix but I am just curious. Currently, whenever we want to duplicate our Prod site to Test, one of the database guys copies it over at the database level. Would site import/export work similarly to this?

7. 5 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 08 Apr, 2014 02:27 PM

Hi Matthew,

If your Transports/Destinations are within the Site, you would need to update the paths and URLs accordingly; otherwise, you could end up overwriting production content.

That being said, if the Transports are within a shared Site, the imported Site should continue reference that shared Site based on its name, this Site could have the dev paths and URLs already changed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

8. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 16 Apr, 2014 12:08 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac