Google cse randomly quits working

tfink

07 Jan, 2014 07:27 PM

Hello,

We have had issues with our Google cse for quite some time now. Most of the time it will work, but on occasion it won't display any search results. In the past, if I published the whole site, the search would function again. This time, it is not the case. No matter what I do, the search function does not work. The funny thing is, if I do an inspect element of the page that should have search results, I can see that the search is working perfectly, it's just not displaying. Can you think of a reason that this would be happening? In the picture that I attached, I searched the word academic. As you can see, I don't have any results, but in the networking portion of the element inspector, the results are shown.

Thanks,

Tim

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 09 Jan, 2014 07:13 PM

Hi Tim,

When attempting to search, I am seeing the following JavaScript error coming from Google's end:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'hb' of undefined        default+en.I.js:448

I'm not sure if this is related to your issue, but according to the Web Search API docs the API has been deprecated since November 2010 in favor of Custom Search.

Aside from the JS error and deprecation, the HTML produced by Cascade seems ok, as well as your custom-search.js file.

2. 2 Posted by tfink on 09 Jan, 2014 07:42 PM

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. So you would suggest making a new version of Google’s CSE?

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 10 Jan, 2014 01:44 PM

Hi Tim,

Not a problem at all, my apologies for not having a straightforward answer for you since this isn't really a Cascade Server issue.

So you would suggest making a new version of Google’s CSE?

If you are using the deprecated Web Search API, it might not hurt to consider switching over to the newer APIs and see if that helps, as a bonus you may even be able to take advantage of any newer features they might provide. I also noticed you are using that search control, which may or may not be available when you make the switch.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

4. 4 Posted by tfink on 10 Jan, 2014 01:57 PM

Hi Ryan,

Thanks again for the info. I’m sorry to bother you with a non Cascade Server issue. I figured that since a full publish fixed this in the past, that maybe it was. I guess it was just a coincidence. I’ll use the new API and see if that fixes it.

Thanks again,

Tim

5. 5 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 10 Jan, 2014 02:59 PM

Not a problem at all, Tim.

Reading over that deprecation message on the API docs, it mentions they were limiting requests, so I'm curious if perhaps you were hitting your rate limit (or getting close to it) and that caused the results to work randomly. Since it's not working at all, it could be possible you have gone over the limit entirely.

Definitely give the newer APIs a try and let us know if you have any issues integrating them.

I'm going to go ahead and close this discussion, please feel free to comment or reply to re-open if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day!

6. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 10 Jan, 2014 02:59 PM.

7. tfink re-opened this discussion on 10 Jan, 2014 03:01 PM

8. 6 Posted by tfink on 10 Jan, 2014 03:01 PM

Hi Ryan,

I just want to give you a quick update. I integrated the new API and it is working great.

Thanks again,

Tim

9. tfink closed this discussion on 10 Jan, 2014 03:09 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac