Report values not matching dynamic metadata

craig.haiss

17 Dec, 2013 09:32 PM

We have a report that displays the value of a custom radio option (Yes | No) for all pages in a folder. For most folders, the report is accurate. However, we have a couple of large folders for which the values are out of sync with the radio option.

For roughly 50% of the pages in these folders, the report says "No", but when you view the page the "Yes" option is selected. Simply resubmitting these pages one by one corrects the issue, even though we aren't changing any data; just clicking Submit.

We are on version 7.2.2.

We recently edited all of these pages just to mark the "Yes" option. Is there a known issue that could have caused our XML data for the index blocks to be out of sync with the values selected for these Dynamic Metadata radio options?

Thanks,
Craig

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 17 Dec, 2013 09:50 PM

Hi Craig,

This sounds like it may be caused by an Index Block caching issue.

To verify, we can temporarily disable caching by:

• Navigate to System Menu->Preferences->General
    • Unchecking Enabled and check Use legacy caching strategy
    • Click Submit
    • Try reproducing the issue

Note: the page may take a little longer to load with caching disabled. After testing, don't forget to re-enable caching to avoid any potential performance issues.

Also, can you provide details about how you have this Page set up? Is this an Index Block and Format applied to a page region, or is the Index Block included within the page's Data Definition using a chooser?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by craig.haiss on 17 Dec, 2013 10:08 PM

It always pays to ask the experts. ;o)

Yes, that fixed the issue. So is it safe for us to just repeat your process above (change setting, view report, then revert to original setting) to sync up reports as needed? Or would you advise that we consider the impact of disabling caching permanently?

The block is included in the data definition using a chooser.

Thanks for sorting this out!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tim on 17 Dec, 2013 10:39 PM

Hi Craig,

Thanks for confirming! It is safe for you to repeat that process should you need to update that report, but we definitely recommend leaving the caching turned on after that so that your instance can benefit from the increased performance.

I'm wondering if the problem you are running into might be related to this known issue. Can you read over that and see if the scenario seems to match your setup? I realize it is a fairly complicated setup so let me know if there are parts that you aren't completely sure of.

Thanks!

4. 4 Posted by craig.haiss on 18 Dec, 2013 04:52 PM

Thanks, Tim!

This setup does sound similar to what we're using for these reports.

I'll chat with folks here about whether we want to restructure the reports to get around this issue. But I'm guessing we'll just leave caching turned on and clear the cache manually on an as-needed basis.

So I think we're all set, unless you have further questions or need us to test anything.

Thanks again, both of you!
    -Craig

5. 5 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 18 Dec, 2013 07:03 PM

Thank you for following up, Craig.

A few possible workarounds come to mind:

• Apply the Index Block directly to a region to avoid the caching issue
    • Switch over to using the Velocity Locator Tool to traverse through your folders. Note: this does not use caching so it would most likely result in the same performance issue as turning caching off

I'm going to go ahead and close this discussion, but please feel free to comment or reply to re-open if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day!

6. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 18 Dec, 2013 07:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac