xsl include not updated when format is moved

harlenweb

12 Sep, 2010 11:59 AM

Hi,

i noticed that when i access a format from within another format via an include href=... statement, and then I move (or rename) the included format, the href in the outer format is not updated. I tried wrapping system-asset tags around the link, but this syntax was rejected on submit. Any workaround - we'll be moving our site, and I was hoping to avoid manual updates.

(Any other known instances when href/src links won't be updated when their target asset is moved?)

Thanks,
Sara

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tim on 13 Sep, 2010 02:10 PM

Hi Sara,

Unfortunately <xsl:include> elements' href attributes are not automatically managed by the system. This means that links to assets within these elements will need to be manually updated.

A list of which links are managed can be found here.

You might be able to use the Search/Replace tool to find hrefs within your Formats that need to be changed.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

2. 2 Posted by harlenweb on 14 Sep, 2010 07:51 PM

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response. It would be great if these could be managed - any reason why not? Ideal would be to move the site & have all links fixed (maybe requiring the use of system-asset tags on some types of links). Perhaps the include could allow for system-asset tags?

For now, to clean up with search/replace - can we search for these iinks or just content/metadata? I wasn't successful in finding these links when doing a search, but maybe wasn't doing it right.

Thanks again,
    Sara

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tim on 17 Sep, 2010 03:13 PM

Hi Sara,

I agree that these links should be managed. I've created an improvement idea to address this here.

As far as the search is concerned, I believe you should be able to find these links using the Search/Replace tool. This tool will also let you narrow your search down to just Formats.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

4. 4 Posted by harlenweb on 17 Sep, 2010 03:56 PM

On Sep 17, 2010, at 11:15 AM, Tim wrote:
    Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for adding an improvement for this!

I cannot find the link when I search, but I have a lot of trouble with the search tool. I entered the path of the included stylesheet into the content field of the search tool and checked the format box. I entered the path with and without the initial slash, with and without quotes, and with and without wildcards. Can't seem to get it to work. What is the right format for entering the path?

Thanks,
    Sara

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Tim on 17 Sep, 2010 05:27 PM

Hi Sara,

What happens if you use the search/replace tool as opposed to the advanced search? Try entering your path into the 'search terms' field beginning with the 'href' portion (ie, search for: href="/some/path")

Let me know if that turns up any results.

6. 6 Posted by harlenweb on 17 Sep, 2010 05:49 PM

On Sep 17, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Tim wrote:
    Tim -

That worked. Thanks! (The same did not work in Advanced Search.) Any documentation on the difference between search & replace vs. advanced search? I'm really fuzzy on how each of those works.

Thanks,
    Sara

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Tim on 17 Sep, 2010 06:06 PM

Good deal. This is something we're working to improve upon in the future. Right now, the regular/advanced search tool uses Lucene for the search and it requires that search indexes are placed on the application server and rebuilt from time to time. The search/replace tool does not use Lucene and will attempt to search Blocks, Pages, Formats, Templates. It will not search metadata or structured data as basic search does.

The improvement we're working on is to make this much more consistent across the board so there is no confusion as to why one search tool might return results while the other doesn't return any at all.

8. 8 Posted by harlenweb on 17 Sep, 2010 07:08 PM

Thanks for all your help, Tim!

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Tim on 17 Sep, 2010 07:13 PM

Not a problem at all!

10. Tim closed this discussion on 17 Sep, 2010 07:13 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac