Google Analytics Connectors vs. Code in Global Block

cprice

27 Feb, 2014 08:19 PM

We are going to upgrade to 7.10 soon, and one of the questions our server admin mentioned was that he was notified that the upgrade would break all Google Analytics Connectors and they would have to be re-verified.

We do not implement Google Analytic Connectors in Cascade...we have the Analytics code placed in the global header block, since that is how we had it set up in our previous CMS.

Everything works fine the way we have it set up now...it's been that way for 8 years, but I am curious as to the benefits of having the analytics code in Cascade as a connector. I know there is an analytics tab in Cascade, but what are the other benefits?

I assume we would remove the analytics code from the header block that we currently use before creating the connector. Would this also mean that future data would no longer be appended to our Google Analytics account that we access through Google's Analytics site?
Would the Google Anlaytics that we already have on the account (over 8 years worth), be pulled in and accessible from within the Analytics tab in Cascade? Or would it only show analytics from the point the connector was created?
And who would have access to the Analytics tab? Is that something all users could see?
Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 27 Feb, 2014 09:30 PM

Hi,

You mentioned you do not currently use the Connector, so there should be no additional action on your end after the upgrade has completed.

To help clarify, the Google Analytics Connector is used solely for reporting purposes and does not affect analytics collection (i.e. the embed code), so you can certainly continue with the setup you have been using.

Would the Google Anlaytics that we already have on the account (over 8 years worth), be pulled in and accessible from within the Analytics tab in Cascade? Or would it only show analytics from the point the connector was created?

If you were to start using the Connector, it will only pull in basic analytics data (e.g. pageviews, unique visitors, etc.) over the past year. You would need to use Google Analytics for more detailed reporting or to see analytics data beyond a year.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by cprice on 28 Feb, 2014 03:29 PM

Thank you!
    I think we can safely proceed with the upgrade, maintain the setup we have...and maybe we'll implement the connector after the upgrade is complete.

3. 3 Posted by Ryan Griffith on 28 Feb, 2014 03:46 PM

Not a problem at all. You should definitely be safe with your current setup.

I'm going to go ahead and close this discussion, please feel free to comment or reply to re-open if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day!

4. Ryan Griffith closed this discussion on 28 Feb, 2014 03:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac