Open in new tab is too hard now

thugsb

25 Jul, 2016 08:39 AM

Disabling the default right-click on the asset tree isn't appreciated, as it stops the user from being able to select "Open in new tab". Additionally, Cmd-Clicking assets doesn't open the asset in a new tab, as would be expected, but the browser default is instead overwritten. This leads to a disappointed UX. There's good reason that the browser has defaults set the way they are, and users expect them to function.

I see that right-clicking an asset, following by cmd-clicking on View does work. But this is several extra clicks, as well as an AJAX call. It's much slower. Frustratingly slow. It is a DAILY experience that I wish to open a bunch of assets in different tabs by cmd-clicking them in the asset tree.

Also, somewhat separate, when you right-click an asset, there's no indication that you have done so. Yes, the wait is hopefully/normally pretty short before the dropdown menu appears, but it'd be nice to know that the AJAX call has been sent. I want a product that shows it is responsive to my clicks and is doing what I ask, not one that I have to wait for. So please, when someone right-clicks, please give an indication that the right-click has been registered and AJAX is happening.

1. 1 Posted by Bradley Wagner on 25 Jul, 2016 01:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

We'll definitely look into the cmd+click behavior a bit more.

As far as the context menu is concerned, is it accurate to say that you're not in favor of it implemented as a context-click in any form or fashion? Or would allowing the cmd+click to function provide a viable workaround?

Would you have any alternative preferences for where/how to access an asset specific context menu?

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by thugsb on 25 Jul, 2016 01:14 PM

I think allowing cmd-click to open a new tab would be fine, and I wouldn't expect this to open the right-click menu (so I can cmd-click several assets in a row). Thanks!

3. 3 Posted by Bradley Wagner on 25 Jul, 2016 01:18 PM

Thanks.

What about with the right-click in general? We've definitely found a few scenarios in which it makes developing the application a bit cumbersome at times (e.g. can't easily right-click to inspect element).

4. 4 Posted by thugsb on 25 Jul, 2016 01:25 PM

Yeah, I generally avoid disabling right-click for that reason, but that's because I'm a developer. ;) I don't often need to inspect in Cascade. And at the moment it looks like assets in the asset tree are the only that where right-click is disabled, right? That's acceptable to me. I would want to be able to generally right-click tho.

5. 5 Posted by Bradley Wagner on 25 Jul, 2016 01:38 PM

It's implemented anywhere you see a link to an asset (e.g. left hand navigation, links in Details menus), folder contents).

6. Bradley Wagner closed this discussion on 01 Aug, 2016 03:01 PM.

7. 6 Posted by Bradley Wagner on 12 Aug, 2016 07:13 PM

Hi just a quick update here that right-clicking links with the context menu has been fixed and should be available in the beta sandbox shortly. Thanks!

8. Bradley Wagner closed this discussion on 12 Aug, 2016 07:13 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac